Monday, April 19, 2010

Ugh.

So, I went to my library today. Well, first I went to the nearby Williams so that I could grab a muffin and gather my courage, then I went to the library. I was crazy nervous until I convinced myself that all I was doing was asking the library to accept a free book. Finally, I made it up to the desk to speak to someone and was told that the library generally only accepts books from recognised publishers. Apparently, there are a very few exceptions, but basically, the chances of my book getting in to my local library are pretty slim. I get that a lot of self-published books are absolute crap, but so are a lot of books that were published through traditional means. Anyway, I'm going to go back in a week or so with a copy of the book and basically tell the lady who's in charge of fiction selection that if they decide to include it in their collection, they can keep that copy and if not, they can do whatever they want with it. My huge concern here, though, is that if I bring her the book and she reads it and hates it or is really offended by it, she could stop it from getting in. I'm not saying she would do that, but I don't know for sure that she wouldn't; people are strange.

I know I shouldn't be letting this get to me, because I haven't actually been refused yet, but I feel like absolute crap. I honestly might throw up. I don't think it even occured to me that there was a chance the library wouldn't want to carry my book.

Interesting point, though: while I was wandering around, trying to work up the courage to approach the information desk and talk to this lady, I came upon a book called A Dangerous Profession, which was about writing. Just the title made me happy.


2 comments:

E said...

Well, that's odd. In my town, they've got books in like every drugstorwe, etc., with a sign saying "Local Author" next to them. For sale. Maybe you should try that?

Rhiannon said...

Chickie's gonna regret that when you're famous.

Ooo...try the museum thingy in the mall there. They had a lot of local writer's books last time I glanced through, and most of them are little more than booklets made out of paper and staples.

And that art gallery where we went to that art show.

Oooooooo...here's a thought - you could have your launch party there.